[Snort-devel] Documentation bug? [Fwd: Comments on Section 3.1 of Snort's FAQ]

Javier Fernandez-Sanguino jfernandez at ...2001...
Tue May 27 07:19:18 EDT 2003

I sent this to the documentation maintainer but it seems it is not yet
updated. Maybe someone with CVS access to the FAQ location could change
this?

Best regards

Javier Fernandez-Sanguino

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Comments on Section 3.1 of Snort's FAQ
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:13:07 +0100
From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfernandez at ...2001...>
To: Dragos Ruiu <dr at ...40...>

Hi there... I do not know if you are still actively maintaining the FAQ.
In any case regarding "Section 3.1: Q: How do I setup snort on a
'stealth' interface?" I just wanted to let you know that:

- The link http://personal.ie.cuhk.edu.hk/~msng0/sniffing_cable/index.htm
is no longer working (it seems to be referenced in some other places too
but I have not been able to find it). It does seem to be available at
archive.org:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010712004004/http://personal.ie.cuhk.edu.hk/~msng0/sniffing_cable/index.htm
or
http://web.archive.org/web/20011031115007/http://personal.ie.cuhk.edu.hk/~msng0/sniffing_cable/index.htm
Problem is, figures aren't there.

- There seem to be other suggestios on how to make a "stealth" cable at
http://www.geocities.com/samngms/sniffing_cable/
or
http://www.ironcomet.com/sniffer.shtml

You might want to consider including this content in the FAQ (with
appropiate permission from it's authors) instead of just linking it so
that it won't be a problem whenever links drop dead. Just a suggestion
(as a FAQ writer myself :)

Best regards

Javier Fernández-Sanguino