[Snort-devel] Re: Snort 2.0 rc1 available

Jeff Nathan jeff at ...835...
Thu Mar 27 00:18:07 EST 2003

Dimitry,

You raised a legitimate question, are all the various package maintainers
lazy or is it Libnet-1.0.2a that is buggy?

Well, I took a look.  Low and behold it is the configure.in within
Libnet-1.0.2a that is the source of the problem.  There is a a macro,
AC_SUBST(LIBNET_CONFIG_CFLAGS), which is designed to fill in the value
returned by libnet-config --cflags.  However, the variable
LIBNET_CONFIG_CFLAGS is never actually set anywhere within configure.in.

So, in addition to switching wc from -m to -c in RC2, I'll remove the
warning for libnet-config --cflags being broken.  There's no reason to
harass any of the various operating system groups, it's not their fault
Libnet-1.0.2a has a bug in configure.in.  Libnet-1.0.2a in the OpenBSD
ports tree is the only instance I've seen where --cflags is properly set.
Thanks to Dug Song, the OpenBSD port patches configure.in before building
Libnet (thanks Dug).

I am now *finished* with autoconf/automake for the time being.  Back to
writing code.

- -Jeff

- --
http://cerberus.sourcefire.com/~jeff       (pgp key available)