[Snort-devel] Re: Snort 2.0 rc1 available

Dimitry Andric dim at ...349...
Wed Mar 26 15:51:35 EST 2003

On 2003-03-26 at 22:48:01 Martin Roesch wrote:

MR> The Snort 2.0 release candidate 1 is available for your testing.

Alas, configure --enable-flexresp errors out:

==========
checking for pcap_datalink in -lpcap... yes
wc: invalid option -- m
Try `wc --help' for more information.
./configure: test: =: unary operator expected
wc: invalid option -- m
Try `wc --help' for more information.
./configure: test: =: unary operator expected
checking for libnet.h... yes
checking for libnet version 1.0.2a... no

  ERROR: unable to find libnet 1.0.2a (libnet.h)
  checked in the following places
==========

This is due to the '-m' option used with wc in some of the tests,
which is not supported by all versions of wc. For example, I'm using
Debian -stable here, which comes with wc from GNU textutils 2.0.

For me, replacing -m with -c solved the issue, although this may not
be what the author of configure.in intended. A patch for that is
attached. (A similar patch works for the current CVS version.) Snort
then configures and builds without a hitch.

Also, I then got a warning about libnet-config supposedly being
broken:

==========
checking for pcap_datalink in -lpcap... yes
configure: warning: libnet-config --cflags is broken on your system.  If you
configure: warning: are using a precompiled package please notify the
configure: warning: maintainer.
checking for libnet.h... yes
==========

It seems that on Debian stable, which has libnet 1.0.2a, the cflags
are always empty. Any idea why this might be a problem? It doesn't
really seem to matter for the building process. If it actually is,
I'll be happy to file a bug report with Debian. :)

Cheers,
- --
Dimitry Andric <dim at ...349...>
PGP Key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~dim/dim.asc
Fingerprint: 7AB462D2CE35FC6D42394FCDB05EA30A2E2096A3
Lbh whfg ivbyngrq gur QZPN naq jvyy or cebfrphgrq