[Snort-devel] Current 2.0 and Sourcefire's Testing Methods

Martin Roesch roesch at ...402...
Tue Mar 25 12:26:56 EST 2003

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 09:17 AM, Matthew Callaway wrote:

> Great, thanks.  I'm a bit surprised that you all consider CVS to be the
> definitive source for the stable code.  I was under the impression that
> the CVS code was "beta" or in testing, and that there would be an
> official release when "stable" or production quality code was released.
>
> I'm happy to hear that if it's in CVS, it's considered stable,
> production quality code.

It's not.

Sourcefire has tested the subset of the code that is active (turned on)
and critical for our specific performance requirements and feature sets
from the 2.0 tree and that is what is considered stable and production
quality and in our products.  We continue to develop and contribute to
the 2.0 CVS tree as we work on the code surrounding that core, but it
should by no means be considered production ready and stable until the
HEAD branch has a release that has been designated -stable.

     -Marty

Sourcefire: Snort-based Enterprise Intrusion Detection Infrastructure