[Snort-devel] patch to add option to specify location for pid file

Erek Adams erek at ...835...
Tue Mar 11 06:08:18 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Adam Bernau wrote:

> On machines with multiple copies of snort running on the same interface,
> the location to store the pid file does not work correctly. The test
> says to first try the /var/run directory, then /var/log, then the
> logging directory. To save mangling this logic, I have added a -j option
> (all the good letters were taken) to specify the location of the pid
> file as a file name. This is a patch against 1.9.1.

Adam,
	Thanks for the patch!

	One thing that might save you some headache, would be to use the
-R option.  It allows you to specify a suffix for the snort.pid file.
This was added a while back by Phil Wood who was running into PID file
collisions.

	Hope that's of some use!

-----
Erek Adams