[Snort-devel] running 2.0 build 51 chrooted

Chris Green cmg at ...402...
Mon Mar 10 15:43:12 EST 2003

Chris Green <cmg at ...402...> writes:

>> I am running snort 2.0 build 51 in a chrooted environment as a non
>> root user.  However when snort starts snort.c (line 995 inside
>> ParseCmdLine )  calls "if (access(pv.log_dir, 2) != 0)"  to check for
>> access to the log directory.  In my case the log directory is
>> specified as an absolute path after the chroot and therfore cannot be
>> accessed here because snort has not yet called chroot.  This causes
>> snort to exit.  My workaround was to simply remove the call to
>> access().  Should I do this differently or should a the code be
>> changed?

Code changed significantly.  Please try seeing if it does the right
thing for your environment.  -l parameter is now the directory you
want to log to in the "pre-chroot" environment and -HUP prints out a
nice lil "sorry buddy" message. :^)
--
Chris Green <cmg at ...402...>
A watched process never cores.