[Snort-devel] Snort 2.0 and T/TCP false alarm

Simon Hradecky shradecky at ...2054...
Thu Jun 26 07:50:04 EDT 2003

Hiya,

I am using Snort 2.0.0 as released April 14th 2003. In addition to the
normal rules I have added a rule logging _all_ traffic in tcpdump, as we
are currently experiencing several attacks, which snort can't account for
(OpenSSL attacks).

Today Snort alerted me of two encounters of T/TCP packets, seemingly
originating from port 0 of sender IP going to port 0 of our server. When I
then checked the tcpdump with ethereal, I was able to exactly identify the
packet by its signature and all other details listed in the Alert, however
both source and destination port were _NOT_ 0. It was actually a regular
and perfectly normal communication to our smtp server. Let me know asap if
you need alert and (excerpt) tcpdump file, as it will scroll off shortly.

Simon