[Snort-devel] PATCH: Snort log in pcap format to stdout

Dirk Geschke Dirk at ...972...
Thu Jun 12 12:13:06 EDT 2003

Hi Nick,

> > usually you can write to the special file /dev/stdout to print the data
> > on stdout instead of a real file.
>
> It seems that Snort wants to append a string to the end of the file that
> you specify, so it ends up writing to /dev/stdout.<date>. Perhaps instead
> of my patch, a switch that allows you to suppress this behavior would be
> better?

you are right, I never tested it before...

But I think it would be a better idea to remove the date from the
filename. I personally prefer if the data are written to the file
I mentioned.

Maybe we need a further option to enable/disable the appending of
the date.

>From this point of view your solution is a little bit smarter.
(But there is still no possibility to write to the filename
mentioned on the command line...)

Best regards

Dirk Geschke