[Snort-devel] help with building snort 2.0.1 on sparc linux

Patrick McGleenon patrick at ...2088...
Wed Jul 30 06:13:08 EDT 2003

Hi

To get around the known problem with the bus error on Sparc linux
(Debian 3.0) I decided to apply Eloy's patch and build snort from scratch

I had a problem though when doing the configure

./configure --with-libpcap-includes=/pcapdir
--with-libpcap-libraries=/pcapdir
checking for pcap_datalink in -lpcap... no

   ERROR!  Libpcap library/headers not found, go get it from
   http://www.tcpdump.org
   or use the --with-libpcap-* options, if you have it installed
   in unusual place

If I check config.log it seems that pcap_error is undefined in
libpcap.a (I'm using 0.7.2)

configure:5839: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall
-I/home/patrick/libpcap/libpcap-0.7.2
-L/home/patrick/libpcap/libpcap-0.7.2 conftest.c -lpcap  -lm -lnsl  >&5/home/patrick/libpcap/libpcap-0.7.2/libpcap.a(grammar.o): In function
`pcap_parse':grammar.o(.text+0x2d0): undefined reference to `pcap_error'
grammar.o(.text+0xce8): undefined reference to `pcap_error'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If I check the libpcap.a the symbol is in fact undefined.

$ nm -C -A libpcap.a |grep pcap_error
libpcap.a:grammar.o:         U pcap_error

So I'm wondering if I've build libpcap correctly (all I did was
configure + make all).

There are people out there who have already done this, could you
give me an idea of what to try

Thanks for any help

Patrick