[Snort-devel] rm: cannot delete '/var/log/snort/alert' (please help)

Aashish Sharma aashish_sharma24 at ...398...
Sun Apr 27 01:24:05 EDT 2003

Hi,

Im a newbie too at Snort.

I had this problem with running the startup script
which I think had been discussd earlier too without
much conclusion.

The problem is that after installing MySql, Snort,
Webmin and configuring the SSL Encryption support I
tried to run the Snort through the "snortd" startup
script it gives me an error "rm: cannot remove
`/var/log/snort/alert': No such file or direct". I
tried changing the script and commenting the lie where
it deletes the /var/log/snort/alert file but that was
of no use.

I havent installed ACID and the My Sql support for my
surrent installation but that shouldnt be a problem I
think or is it.? Please let me know.

Also am i wrong in presuming that with out the
database logging turnd on all the snort logs should be
created in the /var/log/snort directory.?

Please let me know. Any help is greatly apprecaited.

yours unknowingly,
Aashish.!