[Snort-devel] patch for doc/create_postgresql

Frank Knobbe fknobbe at ...337...
Fri Apr 25 11:25:09 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 13:16, Chris Green wrote:
> Frank Knobbe <fknobbe at ...337...> writes:
>
> >> postgresql 7.3.2 does not recognize the type datetime - only timestamp.
>
> Does timestamp exist prior to 7.3.x?

It did, but only as a 4 byte long, with 1 sec precision. I check until
6.3 back. DATETIME was preferred back then due to a higher resolution,
being 8 bytes.

Starting with Postgres 7 DATETIME seems to have been abandoned in favor
of TIMESTAMP which is now 8 bytes with a 1 microsec resolution and valid
timespan/lifetime past a couple future ice ages (AD1465001).

Time stamp with time zone, while 1 usec precision last only until 2037,
as pretty much the rest of the known Unix universe :)

Hope this helps,
Frank