[Snort-devel] check for promiscious mode needed ?

Andreas Wurzinger andreas.wurzinger at ...1953...
Wed Apr 23 06:38:05 EDT 2003

Hi all,

last week I had the phenomenon that snort died and as I tried to restart
him it always came up properly but didn't detect anything. After doing some
diagnosis on snort I discovered that when snort was not running the nic was
in promiscious mode and when snort came up the card switched over to
"normal mode" leaving the promiscious state.

Is it possible that there's a little check needed in snort to proove wether
the promiscious mode on the sensor nic is already enabled or not ?

Thanx

Andreas Wurzinger

Andreas Wurzinger
- System- und Netzwerkadministration / IT-Sicherheit -

SALT AG
Sedanstrasse 23
97082 Würzburg

Telefon: +49.931.3573.400
Telefax: +49.931.3573.509

mailto:andreas.wurzinger at ...1953...
http://www.salt-ag.com

transport logistic München
20. - 24. Mai 2003
Sie finden SALT in Halle B4, Stand 201/302