[Snort-devel] patches from NetBSD pkgsrc

Chris Green cmg at ...402...
Wed Apr 16 07:06:13 EDT 2003

Lubomir Sedlacik <salo at ...1924...> writes:

> hi,
>
> [ i am not subscribed to this list, please keep me on CC: in replies,
>   thanks! ]
>
> in order to make Snort compile and work properly on NetBSD, the
> following patches need to be applied (currently they are part of pkgsrc
> - NetBSD packaging system).  could you please add them into the official
> snort development tree?  thanks.
>
> the first patch teaches Snort about NetBSD PPP implementation, the
> second one adds macppc platform to config.sub and the third one
> pulls in sys/param.h.  the patches apply cleanly to 2.0.0
> distribution tarball.

Thanks for the patches.  On NetBSD, is DLT_PPP_SERIAL the frame that
starts with a {address, control, and protocol} header and
DLT_PPP_ETHERNET an encapsulated header that just has the protocol
field? I'm having a mental block at the moment for the technical name
on the difference.

If so, we need to separate out the 2 logics and push DLT_PPP_ETHERNET
to DecodePppPktEncapsulated.

If you have packet captures of these two link types, I'd very much
appreciate it.
--
Chris Green <cmg at ...402...>
You now have 14 minutes to reach minimum safe distance.