[Snort-devel] Windows NT Snort 2.0.0rc4 Build

Michael Bommarito g0thm0g at ...1522...
Sun Apr 13 20:27:11 EDT 2003

I've compiled the latest release candidate for Windows.  Here are the
specs I built it on:

-OS: Windows 2003 RC2 Enterprise Server, build 3718.
-Compiler:  Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Enterprise.  SP6 Applied.
Processor Pack applied.  Platform SDK (most recent as of this date) applied.
-MySQL (mysqlclient.lib) version: 4.1.0-alpha
-FlexResp
-MSSQL (snort-mssql.exe binary, ntwdblib.dll provided)

I tried to keep the package format as similar to the SnortWin32
installer's as possible, but as you could notice from the link, it's
compressed as a zip.  Perhaps distributing the install compiler script
with the source distribution would be a good idea?

Anyway, as far as bugs go, the only one I've noticed is a illegal access
error after a Control-C SIGTERM from the console.  This only happens
when no text is printed to the screen after initialization is complete.
For example, snort -v, which prints packet readouts to the console after
initialization, does not die on SIGTERM.  Now, I've had this problem
with other libnetNT binaries I've compiled, so it's either an inherent
problem in libnetNT or a problem with my compiler setup.  However, I've
experienced this error in previous Windows builds of snort that were
released on the main page.  Perhaps it's just W2k3?  I don't notice it
on W2K.  Maybe it's time to implement signal handling?  Regardless, it's
not that large of a problem, and as far as I can tell, it only affects
W2k3 servers (I've only had builds 3615 Standard and 3718 Enterprise).

http://12.210.104.75/snort-2.0.0rc4.zip