[Snort-devel] Evading Snort via splitting ACKs

David J. Bianco bianco at ...1589...
Mon Sep 23 08:52:02 EDT 2002

I was reading through some snort rules the other day, just doing
some general maintenance things, when I got a strange idea.  Most of the
rules that come with snort use the "flags: A+" construct, or the
"established" for snort 1.9.  I know that this is intended to ensure
that the rules only fire off for connections which have successfully
completed the three-way handshake, but I think it also leaves open a
hole which can be used to evade the IDS.  Using some trickery, you can
slip past any rule which relies on "flags: A+" fairly easily.

In most implementations of TCP, the ACK flag piggybacks on top of data
packets.  Thus, if I were to send a "HEAD / HTTP/1.0\n\n" to my favorite
web server, not only would those bytes appear in the packet's payload,
but the ACK for the last part of the connection establishment
handshake would appear also.  The TCP specification, though, allows
ACKs to be entirely separate.  In other words, I can ACK data without
sending any payload, and I can send a payload without sending an ACK
in the same packet.  And if I don't send a payload without an ACK
attached to it, the server will still receive the data but snort won't
match it to any rule that uses "flags: A+".

I've developed a short piece of code which demonstrates this concept,
and indeed, the snort rule fails to fire.  I'm sure I'm not the first
person to notice this, so I was wondering what other people are doing
to help mitigate their exposure to this sort of evasion.

	Thanks,
	  David

--
David J. Bianco, GSEC		<bianco at ...1589...>
GPG Fingerprint:   516A B80D AAB3 1617 A340  227A 723B BFBE B395 33BA

     The views expressed herein are solely those of the author and
	    not those of SURA/Jefferson Lab or the US DOE.