[Snort-devel] last_cid in new database scheme v106

Wed Sep 11 11:04:07 EDT 2002

Speaking practically... The primary key for all of these tables
shouldn't be sid,cid anyway.  There should only be one value (int?) as
the key.  This would easily prevent all collisions of CID, since a
sequence could be used (in most databases).   Then, use sid only as an
identifier, and only in the event table.   Structurally this is more
sound, and far more efficient for the DBs.  The next value could easily
be selected, and placed in the placeholders for its bound placeholder.
I'm in the process of trying to write a new database plugin
(database2?), that will use this new strucutre, as well as provide more
efficient means of insert/update/select statements.  The use of prepared
statements with bound placeholders will prevent the rebuilding of query
strings, and in the vast majority of databases, increase response
times... While only staying the same in others.

The other major reason for this is to prevent the error: "database:
oracle_error: ORA-01704: string literal too long."  which I would
consider a very major bug... Since this error does not truncate the data
when you get it, no data is entered into the field (the data_payload in
data field).  Which means, that even though the alert will appear in the
database, there will be no data for anyone to investigate whether or not
it was a positive.  This makes a large number of alerts pointless since
they are often overflows that are greater than the max length allowed in
a query string.  Placeholders/bound vars fix this.

</rant>

Help with this is definitely appreciated...