[Snort-devel] 1.9.0 segfault on Alpha

Kunos Péter Kunos.Peter at ...1614...
Thu Oct 10 08:11:03 EDT 2002

Hi!

I tried to get an answer on the users mailing list, without success.
In a nutshell: i think i have found a bug.

I used Snort 1.8 for a while on my DEC Alphaserver 1200 with
Linux.

My latest working configuration was Snort 1.8.7 with Debian 3.0, all stable updates,
Mysql Ver 11.16 Distrib 3.23.49

----
	Version of Snort

1.9.0

	OS and Version

Linux, Debian 3.0, kernel 2.4.18 pcap 6.2
Machine: Alphaserver 1200, DEC Alpha ev56

	How do you start it?

snort -i <eth iface> -vde -l /<logfile path>

Yes, just for testing.

	How do you know it was Snort that caused it (snort) to exit?

How can i tell that it wasn't? :)
I started it in console mode (not daemon).

	What's the segfault msg?  ('gdb snort core' and then 'bt' would be
helpful--More info in the BUGS file in the tarball.)

"Segmentation fault" Nothing more. It runs for a few seconds. No core dump.
But some "[!] WARNING: IP Len field is 6 bytes smaller than captured length." messages are on the console, i think this must be a clue.

(And every version of snort produces "unaligned trap" kernel messages on this machine, but it's an other story)

Peter Kunos