[Snort-devel] O Snort development gurus!

John Sage jsage at ...1556...
Sun Oct 6 21:44:02 EDT 2002

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 07:12:54PM -0700, Yas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Heh! Here is an over simplistic awkward question. I am
> under a situation where I need to ask: what would be a
> snort programming problem that will be enough for a
> master's project and doable in two months for an above
> average but not top notch C programmer.
>
> I was thinking about doing the "AND" as a rule type;
> but that requires changing the parsing the rules for
> rtn and then for parsing the packets. I got lost
> somewhere in there. (played around with snort-1.8.3
> code for that).
> have already looked into freshmeat.net to get an idea,
> couldnt.
>
> - Lost in Snort

Someone on another (non-snort) list asked:

> Anyone familiar with an automated way of diagramming the
> RuleTreeNodes and OptTreeNodes as defined in the snort faq?
> http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#3.13

That might make a cool little project: parse snort.conf, parse the
rules used; drop them into something that can be output as a graphic
representation of the structure of the specific rules...

Be sure to share, if ya do it :-/

- John
--
"Broken pipe"

PGP key:     http://www.finchhaven.com/pages/gpg_pubkey.html
Fingerprint: C493 9F26 05A9 6497 9800  4EF6 5FC8 F23D 35A4 F705