[Snort-devel] [ snort-Bugs-551876 ] Makefile fails to install rules.

noreply at ...12... noreply at ...12...
Fri May 3 18:11:01 EDT 2002

Bugs item #551876, was opened at 2002-05-03 16:46
You can respond by visiting:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=103357&aid=551876&group_id=3357

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I built Snort 1.8.6 "out-of-box" with no configure options (though
libpcap and openssl have been previously installed). So I've
done:

./configure
make
make install

So far so good.
The snort binary has been installed to /usr/local/bin.

cd
..
rm snort-1.8.6
snort

What happens now is that snort
fails to run, because I've removed the build directory that
contained extra information that was NOT installed into the
/usr/local hierarchy.

It complains about not finding
/root/.snortrc.  The documentation fails to mention anything
about the need to setup a .snortrc and what it might contain.

"strings /usr/local/bin/snort|more" shows it looks for
.snortrc and /etc/snort.conf, so unpack, rebuild, and I look
about I find snort.conf and move it to /usr/local/etc.

Hmm.
snort still won't work, even though configure
--prefix DEFAULTS
TO /usr/local!

Ok so I move snort.conf to /etc and try again.
Then I find there are whole pile of other files not installed...

The end result is that it the configure, build, and install
process fails to setup snort with an initial default
configuration and rules under the file hierarchy specified by
configure. It assumes (hardwired) the locations of files and
fails to install all the required files. The documentation fails
to mention anything about .snortrc.