[Snort-devel] database schema: postgresql

Edward Balas ebalas at ...1183...
Thu Mar 7 12:08:30 EST 2002

Hey all,

As a follow up to my comments earlier with week...

I ran some tests with a schema that had referential integrity plus
cascading deletes.  For 44k events it took over 4 hours to delete!
Clearly this required some investigation into the schema because I had
tweeked the kernel and postgresql.conf as well I knew how (which isnt
saying much)  ;-)

anywho after investigating the issue with a colleague and determining that
my logic wrt indexing on foreign keys as faulty, I tried a revised schema.
This time prior to doing the delete I also ran "vaccum analyze".

In my second test the ET dropped to 26 seconds!

So the real question now is what kind of affect will this have on insert
rates.

Anywho I guess this goes to show how far a little bit of lovin'
will go with a DBMS...

Ed