[Snort-devel] cvs SNORT_1_8 broken

Robert D. Hughes rob at ...825...
Thu Jan 10 20:54:14 EST 2002

I recently updated my source, and now I'm getting errors when I run configure.

./configure --enable-flexresp --with-snmp --with-openssl=/usr
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
/root/snort-1.8.3/missing: Unknown `--run' option
Try `/rob/snort-1.8.3/missing --help' for more information
configure: warning: `missing' script is too old or missing
checking for mawk... (cached) awk
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) none
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... (cached) none needed
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) none
checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsd4.5
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... (cached) no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/sockio.h... (cached) yes
checking for paths.h... (cached) yes
checking for inet_ntoa in -lnsl... (cached) no
checking for socket in -lsocket... (cached) no
checking whether printf must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fprintf must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether syslog must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether puts must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fputs must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fputc must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fopen must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fclose must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fwrite must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fflush must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether getopt must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether bzero must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether bcopy must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether memset must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether strtol must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether strcasecmp must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether strncasecmp must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether strerror must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether perror must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether socket must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether sendto must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether vsnprintf must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether snprintf must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether strtoul must be declared... (cached) no
checking for snprintf... (cached) yes
checking for strlcpy... (cached) yes
checking for strlcat... (cached) yes
checking for strerror... (cached) yes
checking for floor in -lm... (cached) yes
checking for pcap_datalink in -lpcap... (cached) yes
checking for kstat_open in -lkstat... (cached) no
checking for setkey in -lcipher... (cached) yes
checking for snmp... yes
checking for ucd-snmp/snmp_parse_args.h... (cached) yes
checking for openssl... yes
checking for libnet.h... /usr/local/include
checking for u_int8_t... (cached) yes
checking for u_int16_t... (cached) yes
checking for u_int32_t... (cached) yes
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating win32/Makefile
sed: ./win32/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating win32/WIN32-Code/Makefile
sed: ./win32/WIN32-Code/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating win32/WIN32-Includes/Makefile
sed: ./win32/WIN32-Includes/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating win32/WIN32-Libraries/Makefile
sed: ./win32/WIN32-Libraries/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating win32/WIN32-Includes/Makefile
sed: ./win32/WIN32-Includes/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating win32/WIN32-Includes/libnet/Makefile
sed: ./win32/WIN32-Includes/libnet/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating win32/WIN32-Includes/mysql/Makefile
sed: ./win32/WIN32-Includes/mysql/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating win32/WIN32-Includes/rpc/Makefile
sed: ./win32/WIN32-Includes/rpc/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating win32/WIN32-Libraries/Makefile
sed: ./win32/WIN32-Libraries/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged
ns2# aclocal
ns2# ./configure --enable-flexresp --with-snmp --with-openssl=/usr
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
/root/snort-1.8.3/missing: Unknown `--run' option
Try `/root/snort-1.8.3/missing --help' for more information
[...]

I got around it the last time by just removing all references to win32 from the makefile. Since its still happening, I wanted to find out if its a known issue.

This is all on a FreeBSD 4.5-RC1 box. I also have automake and aclocal installed. I don't seem to be able to figure out the bit about the missing script though, where configure states that its too old or missing. I was able to touch all the missing files, configure completes without errors, but make still dies as it doesn't know how to make all in win32. What am I missing, aside from a several years of development experience?

Thanks,
Rob

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein