[Snort-devel] Snort 1.8.7 configure on Solaris 2.5.1 Intel

Andy_Bach at ...1543... Andy_Bach at ...1543...
Sun Aug 18 15:06:06 EDT 2002

Hi.

Building on Solaris 2.5.1 Intel w/ gcc 2.95

>I had to go back to libpcap 0.4 due to vsnprintf snprintf problems in
0.6. Sol 2.5.1 doesn't have a vsnprintf or snprintf in the std lib, but
libpcap 0.6 uses those. It compiles to a lib w/o a problem, but the
configure for snort fails and says you don't have a libpcap, when the
actual error is vsnprintf/snprintf not found when linking in libpcap.

There were lots of troubles w/ the snprintf dumping core once it compiled
- it appears to be mishandling the vararg and the strvalue/value wouldn't
get a char * (though on the 2nd alert?) - too deep for me, but a gnome/xml
thread mentioned the samba snprintf.c so I got that from samba 2.2.5
release, replaced the snprintf.c in snort 1.8.7 (which is from sendmail
and seems to have a mixed use of ifdefs for STDC and function header
formats, at least) configure, added:
typedef unsigned char uint8_t;
typedef unsigned short uint16_t;
typedef unsigned int uint32_t;
#include <rpc/rpc.h>

to snort.h and make works and it seems to not be dumping core. At least,
before an nmap would bring it down and didn't this time.

I did see:
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -DBSD_COMP  -g -O2 -Wall -c snort.c
snort.c: In function `InterfaceThread':
snort.c:1698: warning: unsigned int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 2)
snort.c:1698: warning: unsigned int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 3)

for:
    printf("Run time for packet processing was %u.%u seconds\n",
            difftime.tv_sec, difftime.tv_usec);

Andy Bach, Sys. Mangler
Internet: andy_bach at ...1543...
VOICE: (608) 261-5738  FAX 264-5030

"To understand recursion, we must first understand recursion."