[Snort-devel] To printf or not to printf

Phil Wood cpw at ...86...
Mon Apr 29 16:20:02 EDT 2002

Folks,

This is about the chatty cathy syndrom which seems come and go.  By
chatty cathy, I mean the various places in the code where reassuring messages
are printed to either stderr or stdout.  I personally would like to see
all messages directed to stderr, saving stdout for possibly piping output
to another process), at least when running in nids mode.  The problem
is especially evident when people like myself redirect stderr to a file.

I that case I get:

  Rule application order:

in my stderr file and

 ->pass->activation->dynamic->alert->log->redalert

to stdout.

Drop me a line.  Or, does my mail go to /dev/null.

Thanks,

Phil