[Snort-devel] ./configure fails on AIX

Chris Green cmg at ...402...
Tue Apr 9 05:28:08 EDT 2002

Michael Felt <mamfelt at ...404...> writes:

> Thanks, I'll try it.
> However, I am also willing to try testing and/or fixing the build procedure
> so that it becomes less dependent on gcc. Probably means I am going to have
> to learn about all the a(wful) (in my view) commands, because they are
> making such a hash of all configuration files. (What was once a solution is
> becoming the problem).

If you're going to go through effort to learn, please use the CVS head
branch.

> I could go thru the error messages each time, but I would like to be able
> to edit the Makefile as I do. Have you got some suggestions (for reading)
> regarding how the configure process (not just the script) is
> organized.

GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool isn't a bad introduction to how
these things work.

The amazon page has lots of details

> I havent been active in systems development for about 8 years, but before
> that I was THE techy in several development teams (for about 12 years).
> Maybe I havent 'lost' it entirely.

;-)

> My interest in snort is as a education consultant. I am in the process of
> doing a high-level design for intrusion detection and reporting. I am
> trying to base the development on openProject/openSource software for as
> wide an audience as possible. (If commercial products want me to do a
> course for them they will have to give it to me free, provide tech support
> for free, and pay me as well - so rather than wait for all that to happen
> (money is tight these days) - go open source.
>
> p.s. snort is the second, no third project that doesnt compile directly out
> of the gz archive. (php, m4 are first and second).

We could use the previous paragraph to explain why it doesn't work ;-)

--
Chris Green <cmg at ...402...>
I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.