[Snort-devel] ./configure fails on AIX

Michael Felt mamfelt at ...404...
Tue Apr 9 02:05:06 EDT 2002

Thanks, I'll try it.
However, I am also willing to try testing and/or fixing the build procedure
so that it becomes less dependent on gcc. Probably means I am going to have
to learn about all the a(wful) (in my view) commands, because they are
making such a hash of all configuration files. (What was once a solution is
becoming the problem).

I could go thru the error messages each time, but I would like to be able
to edit the Makefile as I do. Have you got some suggestions (for reading)
regarding how the configure process (not just the script) is organized.

I havent been active in systems development for about 8 years, but before
that I was THE techy in several development teams (for about 12 years).
Maybe I havent 'lost' it entirely.

My interest in snort is as a education consultant. I am in the process of
doing a high-level design for intrusion detection and reporting. I am
trying to base the development on openProject/openSource software for as
wide an audience as possible. (If commercial products want me to do a
course for them they will have to give it to me free, provide tech support
for free, and pay me as well - so rather than wait for all that to happen
(money is tight these days) - go open source.

p.s. snort is the second, no third project that doesnt compile directly out
of the gz archive. (php, m4 are first and second).

As a start I get makeinfo onto my system and rerun the ./configure script
and see if that 'fixes' the creation of Makefile.

And next time, I'll be a little less wordy!

regards,
Michael Felt