[Snort-devel] More userfriendly

pault at ...831... pault at ...831...
Fri Sep 21 12:53:06 EDT 2001

Thanks for your help, Erik.  I have sucessfully compiled it, now.

It might just be my perticular case with the Solaris machines, but I had
to use libpcap-0.6.2 (that's what I mean by full package), instead of
0.4. It might be old info, but I found references to get the file,
"libpcap.tar.Z" ("NOTE: You MUST have libpcap installed in order to use
Snort!  It is available at ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/libpcap.tar.Z)"

Which would compile and install:

"/install-sh -c -m 444 -o bin -g bin libpcap.a /usr/local/lib/libpcap.a" only.

And Snort 1.8.1 would still generate the error for these files:

"gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -DBSD_COMP -I/usr/local/include/mysql
-DENABLE_MYSQL  -g -O2 -Wall -c snort.c
In file included from snort.c:45:
snort.h:31: pcap.h: No such file or directory
snort.h:32: net/bpf.h: No such file or directory
In file included from snort.c:45:
snort.h:69: pcap-namedb.h: No such file or directory
In file included from snort.h:194,
                 from snort.c:45:
decode.h:30: pcap.h: No such file or directory
decode.h:48: pcap-namedb.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [snort.o] Error 1"

> Now your statement about libpcap and needing 'the whole package'.  What
> exactly do you mean?  The INSTALL file states "1.) *** Make sure you have
> libpcap installed!!! ***".  With libpcap you need to do a 'make install-incl'
> once you've built the package.
>
> > It's a nice package, and I like what you've done, but we're not all
> > programmers...
>
> Hell no!  I couldn't program my way out of a wet paper bag! :)

Or a plastic one, for me! :-) hehe

> A: Either winpcap is not installed, or you are using an incompatible version.
>    Try upgrading to the latest version (2.1 as of 4/11/01).  It is available
>    from http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/

Yeah I noticed I need winpcap now, but the link isn't vaild anymore.  I'll
try to pull it from a mirror site.

Thanks.