[Snort-devel] [ snort-Bugs-460715 ] snort running as a daemon dies

noreply at ...12... noreply at ...12...
Tue Sep 11 18:22:02 EDT 2001

Bugs item #460715, was opened at 2001-09-11 08:49
You can respond by visiting:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=103357&aid=460715&group_id=3357

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I am running snort 1.8.1 on a Solaris 8 SPARC (SS5)
with 160MB.  The only purpose of this box is to run
snort, nothing else.  I have now tried for a couple of
days to discover the reason why the snort daemon dies
when running in daemon mode, but does not die when I
use a syntax like;

truss snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
                or
cd /etc/snort;
truss ./snort -c ./snort.conf

If I however run the daemon with the -D option without
the interactive truss, the daemon dies.  And, it does
not seem to do so with any kind of consistency ...
however within 15 minutes of having started.

Any information that may assist in identifying the
cause of the problem would be appreciated.  I log
everything on my systems, but have been unabled to
record the reason why the daemon decides to suddently
die.

thanks,

Silio