[Snort-devel] Output Plugin Licensing...

Thomas Whipp tkw at ...415...
Mon Sep 3 02:34:10 EDT 2001

As I understand the GPL you are only required to release the
source to people you provide binaries to, there was a long
discussion about this on Slashdot sometime last year.

	Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Dana Powers [mailto:dana at ...798...]
Sent: 01 September 2001 00:32
To: snort-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-devel] Output Plugin Licensing...

I am investigating the possibility of writing an output
plugin for snort
that would pipe output to a proprietary database system. I
have a really
basic question about licensing: is this legal?

I do not have the luxury or desire to release the code to
the proprietary
system, and seeing that snort is licensed under the GPL, Im
afraid that I
might be required to because the output plugin could be
considered a
'derived work' of snort. Certainly the plugin would contain
header files at
the very least from both the proprietary system as well as
snort. Does
anyone have any insight into this situation?

dpk