[Snort-devel] problems with snort reading from stdin

Andreas Krennmair ak at ...896...
Wed Oct 17 07:26:14 EDT 2001

Hello!

I have problems giving snort input via stdin.

tcpdump -w - -s 1500 -i eth0 | snort -r -

brings me:

ERROR => unable to open file "-" for readback: bad dump file format
Fatal Error, Quitting..

while

tcpdump -w -s 1500 -i eth0 | file -

brings me:

standard input:              tcpdump capture file (little-endian) -
version 2.4 (Ethernet, capture length 1500)

Is this bug already known and do any bugfixes/workarounds exist?

libpcap version is 0.6.2.
snort version is 1.8.1-RELEASE.

Regard,
Andreas Krennmair
--
Some people say I am a terrible person, I'm not, I have the heart of a
young boy, in a jar, on my desk.