[Snort-devel] Can't uncompress the current cvs

Rich Adamson radamson at ...442...
Mon Oct 8 14:13:36 EDT 2001

> >> Please include links so we know exactly which one you mean.
> >>
> >> Is http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cvstarballs/snort-cvsroot.tar.gz
>
> > Chris,
> >
> > Yes, the url shown above is the one. Just tried it again, and it indicates
> > the exact same problem as yesterday. Neither Linux (gunzip) nor Winzip
> > recognize the content of the tar.gz file. Downloads fine, but can't do
> > anything with it. (Same unzip software works fine with the daily and the
> > rules, which are also compressed tarballs.)
> >
> > Rich
>
> try
>
> wget http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cvstarballs/snort-cvsroot.tar.gz
>
> I just repeated again and got the exact same file.  It seems to be
> just fine.
>
> sprout at ...873...:~% md5sum -b snort-cvs*
> 7893940403b6c66debb2b8e4b5c95c2f *snort-cvsroot.tar.gz
> 7893940403b6c66debb2b8e4b5c95c2f *snort-cvsroot.tar.gz.1
>
> Perhaps you have webcache software in the middle but I don't know what
> the problem is.

http://www.snort.org/downloads/snort-daily.tar.gz = WORKS
http://www.snort.org/downloads/snortrules.tar.gz = WORKS
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cvstarballs/snort-cvsroot.tar.gz = FAILS

Don't think I'm going to try anymore... way to tired to carry this on. If no
one really cares that there "is" a difference, then I don't either and I won't
bother. I'm directly on the Internet; two very different machines, no cache,
no proxy, no nothing, same problem both machines, two downloads work and the
exact some one always fails. What's wrong with this picture?