[Snort-devel] Running pthread enabled snort?

Dirk Geschke Dirk_Geschke at ...802...
Fri Nov 23 01:09:01 EST 2001

Hi all,

I have to answer myself...

> I tried to build snort with pthread enabled. The idea is to try running
> one instace of snort on more than one interface. The source code implies
> that this could be possible...
>
> After a long fight I got snort compiled with pthreads (I had to install
> the GNU Pth to get it compile without errors). Snort starts without
> problems but it seems to pick up no packets.

I found the mistake in snort.c, there is in line 131 a static missing,
it should be:

#ifdef USE_PTHREADS
    static pt_lock = PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER;
#endif

Additionally this definition has to be at the beginning of the main
program. After declaration of other functions this is not allowed...

Best regards,

Dirk Geschke

| Dr. Dirk Geschke            | E-mail: geschke at ...802...     |
| Gesellschaft fuer Netzwerk  | Tel.  : +49-(0)-89-991950-31 |
| und Unix Administration mbH | Fax   : +49-(0)-89-991950-99 |
| 85551 Kirchheim / Germany   | Raeter Stra/3e 26            |