[Snort-devel] Makefile issues; counsel sought

Martin Roesch roesch at ...48...
Mon Jan 22 17:51:23 EST 2001

There are actually 2 files used to setup the configuration and makefile
stuff, Makefile.am and configure.in.  If you want to add config-time
switches, you need to edit the configure.in file and add the switches in
there.  If you look in that file you'll see plenty examples of switches
that we added and how to make your own.  Have a look in there and let me
know what you think.  Basically, you have to modify the file, then run
automake and autoconf, then run ./configure with the options you're
interested in.

    -Marty

Todd Lewis wrote:

> OK, so I add all of my stuff into Makefile.in, only to discover that
> it is autogenerated from Makefile.am.  I need some help figureing out
> how to make this work.
>
> What I want is to support both dynamic and static compilation of paengine
> modules.  Ideally, if the system is configured with --enable-dyn-modules,
> then paengine_*.c will be compiled into paengine_*.so along the lines of
> the instructions that I sent out to the list some weeks ago.  If not,
> then I would grep out the paengine names and add them into the array
> "paengine_s *static_paengines[]" in paengine.c.
>
> I have no problem in the code supporting both static and dynamic modules
> simltaneously, and am perfectly happy having the person compiling
> snort decide which modules are in which category, or even in both.
> The limitation here is my understanding of the make system.
>
> I had this all working in Makefile.in before I was suddenly reminded
> that this is a generated file.  How does one add stuff like this into
> Makefile.am?
>
> I am on the verge of releasing a final version of my paengine'ified
> snort-1.6.3.  This will be the version that SecureWorks will use while
> 2.0 is under development and this work gets absorbed into the mainstream
> code (and the mainstream code stabilizes enough that we can use it in
> production.)  This will also be the version that we will be promoting
> publically as we evangelize this work.
>
> For that release, I may just zap Makefile.am and include my modified
> Makefile.in, once I re-modify it.  Would anyone have a problem with
> that approach?
>
> --
> Todd Lewis                                       tlewis at ...120...
>
>   God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even
>   though I think it is hopeless.          - Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

Martin Roesch
roesch at ...48...
http://www.snort.org