[Snort-devel] snort 1.7 and OpenBSD 2.6

Colin Haxton Colin at ...187...
Sun Jan 7 19:37:36 EST 2001

Hi all,

Snort seems to have a problem running on OpenBSD 2.6 where it won't
start due to not being able to work out the MTU value of the interface.

The OpenBSD site says that the SIOCGIFMTU/SIOCSIFMTU ioctl options were
not added until 2.7.  This makes the GetIfrMTU() function in snort.c not
to return a value so everything stops.

I got around the problem by returning the default Ethernet value
(ETHERNET_MTU). While this works for me there is probably a better fix
so I will leave it up to the cross-platform guru's out there.  :-)

I know that endless backwards compatibility is not feasible but as OBSD
2.6 is still _fairly_ recent I thought I would bring it up on the list
in case anyone else hits it.

Cheers,

Colin