[Snort-devel] Bug in CVS?

A.L.Lambert alambert at ...89...
Fri Jan 5 02:11:36 EST 2001

	Just thought I'd report this.  Seems to be some kind of syntax bug
in snort.c from the CVS version I just grabbed about 15 min ago relating
to the configure --enable-pthreads option.  Compiles clean and works great
when doing configure --without-pthreads.  Wish I could be of more use, but
my C skills lack to say the least.

	System pirticular's:

RedHat 6.2 base
Linux 2.2.18 kernel (built from virgin source)
egcs-1.1.2-30 from RPM
glibc-2.1.3-15 from RPM
libpcap-0.5-20 from custom built RPM (built from virgin source)
libnet-1.0.1b-1 from custom built RPM (built from virgin source)
MySQL-3.22.32 from custom built RPM (built from virgin source)

	Umm... I think that covers everything snort's linking/including
from.  If I missed anything, let me know, and I'll go look up the version
for ya.

	Long messy screen dump of what happened.  Error is (of course) way
down at the bottom of the message.  Cheers!

	--A.L.Lambert

# ./configure --enable-flexresp --enable-pthreads
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for sys/sockio.h... no
checking for paths.h... yes
checking for inet_ntoa in -lnsl... yes
checking for socket in -lsocket... no
checking whether printf must be declared... no
checking whether fprintf must be declared... no
checking whether syslog must be declared... no
checking whether puts must be declared... no
checking whether fputs must be declared... no
checking whether fputc must be declared... no
checking whether fopen must be declared... no
checking whether fclose must be declared... no
checking whether fwrite must be declared... no
checking whether fflush must be declared... no
checking whether getopt must be declared... no
checking whether bzero must be declared... no
checking whether bcopy must be declared... no
checking whether memset must be declared... no
checking whether strtol must be declared... no
checking whether strcasecmp must be declared... no
checking whether strncasecmp must be declared... no
checking whether strerror must be declared... no
checking whether perror must be declared... no
checking whether socket must be declared... no
checking whether sendto must be declared... no
checking whether vsnprintf must be declared... no
checking whether strtoul must be declared... no
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for floor in -lm... yes
checking for pcap_datalink in -lpcap... yes
checking for mysql... yes
checking for odbc... no
checking for postgresql... no
checking for oracle... no
checking for openssl... yes
checking for libnet.h... /usr/local/include
checking for u_int8_t... yes
checking for u_int16_t... yes
checking for u_int32_t... yes
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating config.h
#
# make
cd . && aclocal
cd . && automake --foreign Makefile
cd . && autoconf
configure.in:16: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
/bin/sh ./config.status --recheck
running /bin/sh ./configure  --enable-flexresp --enable-pthreads
--no-create --no-recursion
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... (cached) none needed
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... (cached) no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/sockio.h... (cached) no
checking for paths.h... (cached) yes
checking for inet_ntoa in -lnsl... (cached) yes
checking for socket in -lsocket... (cached) no
checking whether printf must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fprintf must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether syslog must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether puts must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fputs must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fputc must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fopen must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fclose must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fwrite must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether fflush must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether getopt must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether bzero must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether bcopy must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether memset must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether strtol must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether strcasecmp must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether strncasecmp must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether strerror must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether perror must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether socket must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether sendto must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether vsnprintf must be declared... (cached) no
checking whether strtoul must be declared... (cached) no
checking for snprintf... (cached) yes
checking for strerror... (cached) yes
checking for floor in -lm... (cached) yes
checking for pcap_datalink in -lpcap... (cached) yes
checking for mysql... yes
checking for odbc... no
checking for postgresql... no
checking for oracle... no
checking for openssl... yes
checking for libnet.h... /usr/local/include
checking for u_int8_t... (cached) yes
checking for u_int16_t... (cached) yes
checking for u_int32_t... (cached) yes
creating ./config.status
cd . \
  && CONFIG_FILES=Makefile CONFIG_HEADERS= /bin/sh ./config.status
creating Makefile
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/include/pcap  -I/usr/include/mysql
-DENABLE_MYSQL -I/usr/include -DENABLE_SSL -I/usr/include  -g -O2 -Wall
-DENABLE_RESPONSE -D_BSD_SOURCE -D__BSD_SOURCE -D__FAVOR_BSD
-DHAVE_NET_ETHERNET_H -DLIBNET_LIL_ENDIAN  -pthread -DUSE_PTHREADS -c
snort.c
snort.c: In function `main':
snort.c:124: parse error before `{'
make: *** [snort.o] Error 1