[Snort-devel] Re: [Snort-users] CVS Build w/ Solaris?

Martin Roesch roesch at ...48...
Fri Feb 23 00:23:02 EST 2001

Too much to ask I suppose that the Solaris guys would update to
something a little safer...

Since this is just in the parser code I guess we don't need to worry
about this too much, it shouldn't effect the run-time
performance/stability/etc of the system.

   -Marty

Fyodor wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 11:31:39AM -0800, Erek Adams wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Fyodor wrote:
> >
> > > Ooops.. overlooked this portability issue in the patch which I committed
> > > yesterday. I just committed a fix, works for me on solaris now.
> >
> > Erf.
> >
> > Well...  Now I'm getting a different one. :)  In some testing late last night,
> > I backed out the umask patch, then tried the compile.  When I did, I got the
> > same error.
> >

> I committed a fix by replacing strsep with ISO C compliant strtok, but got stumbled with a question too:
>
> Do we want to keep using strsep in our code and supply our own version of the function if needed, or we
> want to be ISO C compiant (in this particular case :)) and just fix up our parsers abit to remove leading
> spaces/delimeters in strtok returned tokens? :)
>
> Quoting strsep(3) :
>
> HISTORY
>      The strsep() function is intended as a replacement for the strtok() func-
>      tion.  While the strtok() function should be preferred for portability
>      reasons (it conforms to ISO 9899: 1990 (``ISO C'')) it is unable to han-
>      dle empty fields, i.e. detect fields delimited by two adjacent delimiter
>      characters, or to be used for more than a single string at a time.  The
>      strsep() function first appeared in 4.4BSD.

Martin Roesch
roesch at ...48...
http://www.snort.org