[Snort-devel] Output Plugin Licensing...

Dana Powers dana at ...798...
Fri Aug 31 19:32:00 EDT 2001

I am investigating the possibility of writing an output plugin for snort
that would pipe output to a proprietary database system. I have a really
basic question about licensing: is this legal?

I do not have the luxury or desire to release the code to the proprietary
system, and seeing that snort is licensed under the GPL, Im afraid that I
might be required to because the output plugin could be considered a
'derived work' of snort. Certainly the plugin would contain header files at
the very least from both the proprietary system as well as snort. Does
anyone have any insight into this situation?

dpk