[Snort-devel] IDS fingerprinting techniques & Snort's FlexRe sponse...

Dragos Ruiu dr at ...40...
Tue Aug 21 22:00:53 EDT 2001

Solution and best of both worlds:

Hypothetical problem:

massive information hemmorhage through ttl of snort flexresp rst's....

Overly resource intensive solution: randomize them.

Better solution: cycle through a linear count of 20+x<->n+x for each successive
 response.  Solve problem of adding uncertainty about distance to ids location,
 without cpu intensity of gettign real entropy.  Preselect small random delta (x)
 to boundaries (20,n - where n is random too) of cycle range once at startup.

cheers,
--dr