[Snort-devel] snort leaders, I need guidance - help!

Martin Roesch roesch at ...48...
Fri Apr 27 01:34:33 EDT 2001

Todd Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Brian Caswell wrote:
>
> > This is my take on it.  We are -> <- this close to releasing 1.8.
> > Do we want to massively break a lot of plugins right before a release?
> > If we are going to use paengines, then we need to do this AFTER our
> > next release.  We should NOT do a release with  broken plugins.
> >
> > Yucky.  Todd, if you finish your code to get it READY to integrate,
> > then we can integrate into CVS as soon as we do a release.  We should
> > be focusing on cleaning up bugs, not massively changing things.
>
> I don't really have a problem with this, as long as there is a real
> committment to getting the paengine stuff integrated.  My frustration
> stems from the feeling that we're regressing in terms of our dependence
> on pcap, and if putting this off until after 1.8 means that this process
> will continue, then it's just avoiding the problem rather than solving it.

There is a real committment, I *need* that code integrated into the
system for stuff I'm working on to be viable.  The pcap regression is
only a temporary thing, some of the preprocessors need to be able to
re-inject packets into the decoder/detection engine, and that was a
pretty decent way of doing it.

> > Should we start a release cycle akin to pick-your-bsd?  (Every X
> > months, with a lock on the tree 1 month before hand with only bug fixes,
> > documentation and tested rules added?)
> >
> > Pretty soon we are going to have ghant charts, UML models, and managers
> > telling us that we need to use OOP VB.  Yucky.
>
> Nah, it's not that bad.  The whole 1.8 thing did sort of sneak up on me,
> but maybe that's just because I was out of town.  And if you're not
> an OO fan, then you probably should just avoid looking at most of my
> interface proposals, although I try to be covert about it.  8^)

   -Marty

--
Martin Roesch
roesch at ...48...