[Snort-devel] need more guidance on paengine integration

Erek Adams erek at ...105...
Thu Apr 26 17:34:58 EDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Todd Lewis wrote:

[...snip...]

> 3) Finally, I would like to see the pcap-specific command-line parameters
> moved to a paengine-generic option-passing framework.  E.g., instead of:
>
> 	snort -F filter -i eth0
>
> you would do:
>
> 	snort -E pcap -O "blf=filter" -O "interface=eth0"

[...snip...]

This might not be such a nice thing.  For example:  If I'm using snort as a
drop in replacement for tcpdump, this would 'break' things.

_BUT_, I'm all for improving things!  I just think that with the large number
of snort users out there, this change might 'break' some of them or at least
thier apps/scripts.

Would there be any way to provide some sort of conversion tool or something of
the sort?

Just my $0.01.  :)

-----
Erek Adams