[Snort-devel] snort leaders, I need guidance - help!

Todd Lewis tlewis at ...255...
Tue Apr 24 02:09:42 EDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Brian Caswell wrote:

> This is my take on it.  We are -> <- this close to releasing 1.8.
> Do we want to massively break a lot of plugins right before a release?
> If we are going to use paengines, then we need to do this AFTER our
> next release.  We should NOT do a release with  broken plugins.
>
> Yucky.  Todd, if you finish your code to get it READY to integrate,
> then we can integrate into CVS as soon as we do a release.  We should
> be focusing on cleaning up bugs, not massively changing things.

I don't really have a problem with this, as long as there is a real
committment to getting the paengine stuff integrated.  My frustration
stems from the feeling that we're regressing in terms of our dependence
on pcap, and if putting this off until after 1.8 means that this process
will continue, then it's just avoiding the problem rather than solving it.

> Should we start a release cycle akin to pick-your-bsd?  (Every X
> months, with a lock on the tree 1 month before hand with only bug fixes,
> documentation and tested rules added?)
>
> Pretty soon we are going to have ghant charts, UML models, and managers
> telling us that we need to use OOP VB.  Yucky.

Nah, it's not that bad.  The whole 1.8 thing did sort of sneak up on me,
but maybe that's just because I was out of town.  And if you're not
an OO fan, then you probably should just avoid looking at most of my
interface proposals, although I try to be covert about it.  8^)

--
Todd Lewis
tlewis at ...255...