[Snort-devel] smodule submissions for inclusion in 1.8

Todd Lewis tlewis at ...255...
Sun Apr 22 06:00:55 EDT 2001

Attached are two patches.  One is an implementation of the smodule system
that I outlined earlier today.  The second is a complete (if kind of ugly)
test suite for this system, complete with comprehensive README.  I would
prefer that both be committed, but I can understand how the second one
may be controversial in the absence of some sort of testing framework.

Thanks to the testing and the power of gcc, though, I can vouch that this
code is solid.  I will be basing tomorrow's paengine port on this work,
so if anyone has a problem with this system, then I would appreciate
hearing about it sooner rather than later.

BTW, actually figuring out all of the ways in which your code can fail,
documenting them, and then figuring out how to test them can sure be a
pain, but boy is it worth it.  While I developed the testing regimen,
I caught several subtle bugs that would have bitten myself and other
users of this system.  Aside from saving other people the hassle of
discovering and reporting the bugs, it's easier for me to fix them now
when the code is fresh on my mind.  In the long run it's a big win.

Have that goofy fingers-feel-like-they-weigh-two-pounds-each feeling
going on after this marathon, so some sleep before the remaining paengine
stuff gets churned out.  I hope to have it all done this weekend, in
which case I would love it if some people could use the 1.8 paengine
stuff (preferrably heavily) this week before the release.

--
Todd Lewis
tlewis at ...255...