[Snort-devel] snort failes on ppp0

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at ...372...
Tue Apr 10 19:06:01 EDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Fyodor wrote:

> > Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_files.so.2...done.
> > #0  0x255a0 in _init ()
> > (gdb)
> >
> > After typing bt:
> >
> > #0  0x255a0 in _init ()
> > #1  0x2537c in _init ()
> > #2  0x252cc in _init ()
> > #3  0x1c814 in _init ()
> > #4  0x1beec in _init ()
> > #5  0x1bae8 in _init ()
> > #6  0x13378 in _init ()
> > #7  0x501f56a8 in __libc_start_main () at ../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:122
> > (gdb)
> >
> > glibc is v2.1.3 (Latest update from Red Hat Linux 6.2 as goes for the
> > other software on the little bugger)
>
> Oh.. doh.. :) you sure the result is correct? :) we don't touch _init() at all so it isn't supposed crash there. Does snort-daily tarball make any difference? :)

Ok. Removed the package. Downloaded the latest sources as indicated.
Compiled clean.

And it also keeps working. Someone on a Dutch linux mailinglist mentioned
it might be a case of alignment problems that cause warnings on Alpha
hardware but dumps the core on Sun hardware.

At present it seems to hold out pretty well. It's active for about 5 hours
and allready noticed some poking on my webserver.

Hugo.

--
Alle email aan mij verzonden is gebonden aan de regels beschreven op
mijn homepage.

    hvdkooij at ...372...		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/

	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.