[Snort-devel] Thoughts on threads

Nash nash at ...357...
Fri Apr 6 14:49:18 EDT 2001

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 01:40:35AM +0700, Fyodor wrote:

> > like optimizing for the special case and that seems like a dubious idea.
> >

> If I read the docs right (never had any profiling done in my life :P), profiling
> should show up how much CPU is currently being utilized by each part of snort during
> the execution, IMHO it might help us to evaluate which pieces are bottle necks and such..
> not very useful for threads pool case though (so my suggestion was abit biased, I guess, sorry) :)

Well, profiling is good knowledge. Don't get me wrong. When you're trying to kick the
last ounce of performance out of your code its great stuff. I used it heavily the last
time I wrote a stats engine for a web server.

But, if you use profiliing as the primary means of measuring the performance of your
code then you optimize your code to the specific profiles you have in front of you. This
is okay as long as the data generating your profile is the same as real world data. But,
if the data has differences that affect performance you need more complex math to help
you.

ciao,

	gnash

--

   "Babbage himself acknowledged Jacquard's precedence: when
   he presented the concept for his Analytical Engine at the