[Snort-devel] Thoughts on threads

Fyodor fygrave at ...1...
Fri Apr 6 14:14:57 EDT 2001

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 02:00:10PM -0400, Jon Bentley wrote:
> I haven't received a good beating recently, so I'll through my two cents
> into the ring.
>
> Threads (nee parallelization) would cause me some concern, as it would
> potentially remove the serial order of received packets.  Perhaps that is
> a concern of only myself, though.  (Packet sequence numbers, with a post-
> process reordering?)

not if we papeline the packet process. There's always packet sequentioning solution (but
then you'd have to block packet logging at the last stage until all the previously received
packets are logged).

> Pthreads are great, but do we care about our W*ndows friends?

Some people do :). But I looked into Windows threads, and the routines there
seem to have the similar functional meaning, althrough kinda different
syntaxical (is there such word? :)) representation.