[Snort-devel] Defeating the anti-IDS tools...

Matt W. kmx at ...309...
Sun Apr 1 22:59:49 EDT 2001

Personally I think a preprocessor is going in the wrong direction.  This is not
something that should be handled by snort.  This should be handled by outside
processing.  If you tune your IDS correctly and place it in your network
correctly these attacks will never happen.

In my opinion the real problem is snort doesn't have a way to know what traffic
is valid for your network.  So administrators have to tune the device and many
people are too lazy or not experienced enough to do this.  So they use the
default vision.conf rules and call it a day.  They then wonder why they are
getting an arse load of false positives.  This is because 90% of the rules in
vision.conf probably don't apply to their network.

So here is a quick suggestion. Along with the scoring system people are
developing we can create a flag that says "This rule applies to my network
YES/NO"  Then it's really easy to filter all the traffic if you are logging to a
database.  This will detect things like snot and other traffic generation
attacks and it will filter out lots of the crap.

Data mining is the key to detecting these things easily, not preprocessors.

-matt