[Snort-devel] snort-beta

Fyodor fygrave at ...1...
Sun Sep 3 14:17:36 EDT 2000

Hello people,
 I started committing snort-beta files to /cvsroot/snort/snort-beta
directory. We still need to find out some reasonable way of keeping
snort-beta and snort in sync (as for the moment snort tree has priority
in development and we just roll the changes into snort-beta, any other
thoughts?) but later I think we will be only fixing bugs and problems in
`snort' three and keep `bleeding-edge' development in snort-beta. Once
beta gets stable enough, we just copy beta source into snort and go on new
circle for new release..

Anyway, I committed the core files, documentation, contrib and all this
stuff. I think plugins will be added as soon as they are ported to the
new format (contribution from original plugin developers is welcome
:)). Once I bring some changes which Dragos adviced to take, I will post
more complete description of static plugins handling as well.

Speaking of plugins, I think it makes sence if every plugin would have
`#define <PLUGIN_NAME>_ENABLED 1' in its' header file. The problem is that
I am thinking of moving all the logging code (fast, null, full alerts
etc) from log.c into spo_*.c files (that's where they logically have to
be. UnixSock code has been already moved but there are still hooks in
snort.c which require this plugin to be enabled. What I am thinking of is
having #ifdef PLUGIN_NAME_ENABLED ... #endif wrappers in every piece where
hooks to plugins are hardcoded (althrough we would need to think of the
way to get rid off them).

 Anyway just wanted to let you know what's going on.. :)

-Fyodor