[Snort-devel] Happy 2nd Anniversary

Martin Roesch roesch at ...48...
Thu Dec 21 11:30:18 EST 2000

Today is the 2nd anniversary of Snort's release to the public.  I just want to
take a moment to thank everyone who has contributed code, bug reports,
documentation, ideas, resources, a kind word or a free beer over this period.
It has turned this project into more than just a conglomeration of bits and
bytes, it is the foundation of this community.  Your continuing efforts are
what will keep the project competitive with the best that the commercial world
has to offer, helping to make networks more secure for everyone not just
people with the money to be able to afford security.

People who are interested in taking a look at the original relase of Snort
(version 0.96) can still download it from Packetstorm, the place where the
initial release was made.  Here's the URL:

http://packetstorm.securify.com/sniffers/snort/snort-0.96.tar.gz

It's ~1600 lines of code, contains no detection capabilities, and probably
doesn't run on anything other than Linux.  :)  Contrast that with the 1.7 code
base, which is up to ~34000 lines of code! (run a diff, I dare you...)

Once again, thanks to everyone!

     -Marty

--
Martin Roesch